Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Controls Discontinued

We regularly get questions on our Facebook page and here in the forums about DCC recorder remote controls. Understandably, these are somewhat rare because owners of DCC recorders don’t usually keep their remote controls with their recorders when they store them in the attic, and the remote control eventually gets discarded or lost.

I’ve been recommending Logitech Harmony remote controls as a replacement for original DCC recorder remote controls for years because they can be programmed to transmit DCC control codes even if you don’t have an existing remote control to use as an original to make a copy from.

However yesterday Logitech announced that they are discontinuing the Harmony line of universal remote controls. So if you were considering getting one from BestBuy or elsewhere, now is the time because once they’re gone, they’re gone.

===Jac

1 Like

Thanks. There’re so nice!
Slightly expensive though… :slight_smile:

I stocked some Philips SBC-RU880’s to use as universal remote.

Wouldn’t it be possible to record the DCC RC-5 codes using a Raspberry Pi or Arduino?
That way they could be implemented in linux LIRC remote control library or the Arduino libraries.

Kind Regards,
Marout Sluijter-Borms
Amsterdam NL

1 Like

That shouldn’t be necessary. The RC5 standard is pretty well documented and there is already code out there to reproduce it. The address code for all DCC recorders is 23.

===Jac

2 Likes

I did some testing and have a great idea for a simple project, but did not come arround to implementing it 3rd gen infrared text assistant device

1 Like

Move forward @Max !

I’ve been thinking it would be great to design a replacement front panel for 3rd gen recorders. I already reverse-engineered most of the protocol between the front panel and the microcontroller on the deck (P700/Software/SAMC21N-XPRO/FrontPanelMon/FrontPanelMon/main.c at master · DigitalCompactCassette/P700 · GitHub) and a SPI interface is easy to implement with an Arduino or similar device. And that way you could replace the existing VFD display with graphic LCD and do things like add VU meters and text entry through a keyboard.

===Jac

2 Likes

I will, it is far from hard. But I have many projects for the museum in progress and other things to do.

2 Likes

Hi Jac

I have a DCC 91 but no remote control. I read your post and tried to add my DCC 91 to my Harmony remote. Unfortunately, the Harmony App doesn’t recognize that model number ( It does seem to locate DCC 900, 950 and 951). Can I select one of these other DCC players and have it function with my DCC 91 or could you post instructions on how to add the DCC 91. Thanks

You can try the DCC450, it’s identical to the DCC91. I have my Harmony programmed for the DCC600 which is another 2nd generation recorder that has the exact same electronics as the DCC91 (and 450 and 91 and 300 and 380 and so forth). Harmony may also have codes for the FW91 miniset that the DCC91 can be connected to, but I don’t know if that would help.

Anyway the codes for the other DCC recorders should also work; Philips used the same codes for all of them, though the later models may have some features that the 900 doesn’t have, so if you set your Harmony to a later device, you may have some functions available that you otherwise wouldn’t have.

===Jac

2 Likes

I like to looks of this one! What’s so good about it? Is it also programmable with everything imaginable?

@rolf

It’s a super simple remote from the operator perspective. Which made it the prime choice for my
tech illiterate mother and my husband. They have no clue how it works, but when it says ‘theatre’
it does what they want.

And you can teach it anything IR based.
It knows a lot of IR stuff by itself but the rest can be taught or copied around.
Theatre mode combines several devices to one control surface.

Pity Philips stopped their home automation stuff (simple “klik aan klik uit” like domotica).
That could be done with this one too…

1 Like

I had one of those Philips remote controls before I emigrated. It worked okay and was much more comfortable than the stupid pillbox remote controls that I got with my Marantz Slimline system. But it’s not even close to a Harmony.

A Harmony can be programmed to control devices for which you don’t even have the remote control, so no need to have the original and no need to do a bunch of time-consuming learning. And the Harmony database also includes codes that are usually not found on the original remote controls, such as “power on” separate from “power off”; usually remote controls only have “power toggle”.

And in the Harmony you can program a couple of “Activities” (e.g. watch TV, listen to a tape etc.) where you just tell the remote control which devices need to be on, and which inputs of the receiver and TV etc. need to be selected. You just push the “watch TV” button and it knows which codes to send. And if the remote control is “out of sync” with the TV or receiver or whatever, you just push the “Help” button. “Help” first sends the codes to change the inputs on all devices, then it asks if that fixed the problem. If you answer “No”, it asks if each involved device is powered on, and turns it on if you say it’s off. Then it asks for each device if the input selection is correct. Brilliant stuff, and since I’ve owned one, my wife has never needed to ask me to “fix” the stereo.

===Jac

3 Likes

I like how the top buttons resemble the Philips logo!

-Philip.

Hi Jac

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try using models 450, 300 and 600 as a substitute for DCC-91 on my Harmony 350 remote. Unfortunately, none of these seem to work. I’ll see if I can get a used RC 380 remote on ebay.

Kind regards,

-Mark

Does the DCC-91 actually have an infrared receiver? I think you may have to connect it to the remote control bus of a system that receives the remote control codes and puts the codes on the bus.

===Jac

@Jac

Yes I know, but it always requires
-Windows
-Harmony website
-Harmony account

Whereas the RU880 simply worked.
And yes, the ‘works for remotes you do not own’ was my reason to buy a harmony too.
but my hubby got really confused by the touchscreen doning things he did not want.

Hence I reverted to the RU880 as most remotes I need, I own already.

1 Like

My Harmony doesn’t have a touch screen. I had a RadioShack universal remote control with a touch screen and hated it. I never liked touch screens anyway; and not only because of the fingerprints. Not having to look at the remote control to know what button you’re tapping is kind of an important thing. Maybe Logitech will continue the Harmony as a smartphone app (with a hardware “hub” to blast infrared or something; I think they could already do that) but I’m not sure if I would like that. Roku has a smartphone app that can be used as remote control (and as audio streamer) and I don’t like it that much either.

Back in the day, I wanted to have a Philips Pronto but those are impossible to find. And of course they were way too expensive when they WERE available.

===Jac

2 Likes

My DCC450 happily receives command from its own remote, so I’m pretty sure the DCC91 will do exactly the same.

@Jac @PaloAltoMark Actually… de DCC450 features an IR-sensor logo, where the DCC91 doesn’t.
I guess Jac is right!

2 Likes