Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Controls Discontinued

Thanks @Rolf, you just saved me a trip to the garage to dig up my own dcc91 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

=== Jac

3 Likes

Interesting. I used a flashlight to illuminate the red plastic front panel so I could see inside the unit without actually opening the chassis. On my DCC-91, there is a circular area in the plastic under which one would expect to find an IR sensor. If my unit was a DCC-450, that circular area would be located beneath the IR Logo. However, I don’t see an actual IR sensor located in the circular area on my DC-91 (Just a place in the plastic where one would expect to find an IR sensor). Since the DC-91 and DC-450 are so similar, it’s possible that the same red plastic panel was used for both units, even though the DCC-450 has a sensor and the DC-91 does not.

There are three possibilities.

1. There is no IR sensor on this model because the sensor is located in other components of the system.
  2. There is an IR sensor but I’m not seeing it and it’s damaged or missing.
  3. There is variation between units and Philips changed the DCC-91 and some have a sensor in them and others don’t

Rolf/Jac does the DCC Museum have the schematic for the DC-91? It would show if there’s an IR sensor or not.

If there is no schematic, I may open up the unit to really inspect the components.

Kind regards

-Mark

The combined DCC91/DCC450 service manual (including schematics which go beyond my current knowledge) is available on the website: Philips DCC91 | DCC Museum

Most definitely the reason why there’s no sensor in the DCC91 is that it’s intended to be used with the FW91 system. The DCC91 was a separate purchase from the system so you could add it later (I have the manual for the system and it doesn’t give information about the DCC recorder; it just refers to the DCC recorder manual).

It made no sense to put a remote control in the DCC recorder because the DCC recorder had to be connected to the system remote bus to use functions such as CD-Synchro and the function that the amplifier automatically turns on when you operate one of the signal sources. Philips made a big deal out of their smart remote control system.

They could have put a remote control receiver into the DCC recorder so that the recorder could have been used with other systems. But I bet this way it was cheaper to build the recorder. I bet the DCC-91 didn’t come with a remote control (the FW91 system remote has DCC functions) so they could sell the DCC91 for the same price as the DCC450 even though it was probably $20 cheaper to build. And that adds up to a lot of money if you sell thousands of them.

There could be a technical reason too: With two remote receivers in a system that’s connected together via a bus, it’s possible that small differences in specifications between the infrared receivers will cause jitter, so that the timing of the signals on the bus ends up being “off” a little bit, and more difficult to interpret for the microcontrollers in all the connected systems. I admit, this is not a good argument because I had a Philips stereo system for years that had two remote receivers (one in an EM2200 external receiver and one in the CD player that I bought after I bought the rest of the system) and I never had any problems with them. I think there was some Philips equipment that had a switch on the back to turn the internal remote receiver off, though.

You can download the service manual for the DCC-91 / DCC-450 from my website.

===Jac

Hi Rolf

Thanks. That solved the issue in 2 seconds. The service manual indicates that the IR sensor is in model 450 only, not 91. (See below from service manual)

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 8.40.40 AM.png

)

It appears the remote for the whole system of components is in the amplifier which I don’t own, so I think I’m out of luck.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

-Mark

If you have a Philips CD player with a remote control sensor, you can probably connect its RC5 bus to the EasyLink bus of the DCC-91. You’d still need the remote control though…

===Jac

Something like this would be the perfect addition: Philips Stereoanlage mit CD-91, FT-91 , FA-91 zu verkaufen in Bayern - Schweinfurt | Stereoanlage gebraucht kaufen | eBay Kleinanzeigen (if it comes with the remote).

No remote control though, from the looks of it.

The FW91 is a great little stereo, I highly recommend it. It has very reasonable features, good firmware and good sound.

===Jac

The same issue was with the CD 480 and 481,
The latter had an IR sensor where the former needed it’s RC-5 bus
connected to an external sensor or a device with sensor.

I recall when I got mine, I went to Radoma which was the Utrecht repair service for
Philips back in the 80’s. I copied the service manual. It showed 3 parts missing from
the front panel of the 480. So I bought the required parts and a remote and installed them,
to upgrade my 480 to a 481.

(Fond memories, it was my first CD player)