3rd gen infrared text assistant device

Just a short and simple project idea: How about some device with an infrared LED and a decent keyboard interface that can simplify the process of entering text? Based on an ESP8266 WiFi enabled microcontroller similar to this guide we could have a web interface where you can enter text to be automatically converted to the right button presses and possibly the rest of the remote for less than 10€/USD hardware cost.

Has anyone of you ever considered/done this?

Leave a like if you are interested, then I will do it as an intermediate project, should be pretty simple.

4 Likes

Well, Iwas thinking something similar but more like arduino or STM32
(bluepills are a dime a dozen on ebay)

ESP8266 can be programmed with Arduino-based firmware. The beauty of this one is that it is pre-built with everything needed and dirt cheap.

1 Like

Yes, STM32 is cheap too, and it’s a hunk more powerful.

But if it is in C++ libraries, it should be portable (if pin assignments can be done separately)

1 Like

For transmitting infrared, the used microcontroller does not matter; it is a well-documented and super straightforward task. The ESP8266 has the advantage of WiFi and lots of libraries available to make building something with a web interface super easy.

If you are into STM32, there is an ideal board with S/PDIF in (including subchannel-data) that I would like to make great use of as an ITTS box replacement, but I am apparently not competent enough to get the S/PDIF input to work: S/PDIF input to USB, is ITTS in I2S? - #5 by Max If you can help, please follow up in that thread, I would even send you one.

A post was merged into an existing topic: S/PDIF input to USB, is ITTS in I2S?