New DCC's Shells 3D & Tape type tests

Tim Drogt has made the STL files. Harrie Sonderen did the first tests.
It could be used for creating custom art work or even (if we find the BASF Chrome Tape) new tapes.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1une_ITmNQVv0OGl8Q9ADoRVrvgW602b1

3 Likes

Maybe we should test how still made tapes perform, whether the small improvements of Type I are enough. Sacrificing normal Type II tapes would also be an option, they are still a lot more common and affordable than blank DCC.
By the way, is mold on badly stored DCC tapes a things?

I have seen mold on tapes. Especially when they are stored in a garage or basement.

1 Like

Shell3 Shell4

3 Likes

Maybe try to substitute analog chrome tape in the 3d shell and do test recording.

2 Likes

Wow! Its really cool to see my model in real life :heart_eyes:

Looks like Harrie did quite a good job with his printer. Cant wait till someone tries it with tape.
Of course il be able to edit the model if required

2 Likes

Hi Tim, thanks for the STL files, very nice.
i took parts from an old compact cassette to complete it.
The bladespring with pad won’t fit…
Now it is a gimmick dcc cassette.
Also it is not suitable for a cassetteloader like the KING from Thomas ( De Bandjesfabriek, NL ),
because the loops are closed, the long finger that glue’s the tape on the winderwheel, can’t get into this cassette.
Also it needs to be altered so you can use screws to hold both together, like a cc.
greetz, Harrie

2 Likes

I have thought about screws to hold both halfs thogheter.
Also i have the idea of using more of a CC design to get rid of the metal protective slider to reduce the parts (springs and such) needed.

On the topic of tape im curious how the new Recording the masters FOX tape will preform as a DCC. As far as i know no one has tried this yet

Hi,
No one has tried yet (as far as we know). Once we have a perfect shell, we could try to simply to first put in the original tape, to see if the quality is there with that tape and take it from there.

The alloy slider is very difficult and expansive to reproduce.
This 3D printed cassette is not suitable for such a slider.
when calculating the costs of 3D printing, adding wheels, rollers, felt-pad and tape, i expect it will be extremaly expansive.
I have a lot of new tapes so i don’t need it, does anyone have an idea how many dcc cassettes are available in the world for sale? in my humble opinion, you can better search for dcc cassettes than make new dcc cassettes. Greetz, Harrie

But the supply won’t last forever, we are trying to preserve it.

2 Likes

Off course 3D printing and assembling just a hand full of tapes will be very expensive. But as said before the supply of NOS tapes will dry up one day. For us its a labour of love trying to keep the format going as best as we can.
Ive reworked my original design into a bit of a cleaner cassette, taking hints from the original CC, ive ditched the aluminium slider and patched op the holes in the top of the shell. Ive also made sure that these shells could, in the future, be loaded on a cassette loader like Thomas at De Bandjesfabriek has.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hpW7EBhAv3r1lplu6FFqmZB6ESeS8UDy?usp=sharing

3 Likes

The metal slider was not needed for operational use. Just to protect the tape.

1 Like

Hi All,

Does anyone know a source for the chrome tape …
Based on my experice the tape is the biggest challenge to get it richt!

See the DR DCC video https://youtu.be/YR0yhK9sGLg
You can easily test the tape in a normal analog shell …

Let us know what you think ?

Greetings Jorn

1 Like

Hi everyone today I purchase box of dat tapes it says data tapes I wonder if someone change shell and use dat tapes for DCC

2 Likes

Hi,
I do not know of anyone attempting this. With 4mm it might be a tad wide.

1 Like

How wide is dcc tape in mm

DCC tape is the same 0.15 inches (3.8 mm) width as in analog compact cassettes

1 Like

Thank you another words dat tape is 2mm wider
Dr DCC I watch your video Converting a analog audio cassette to DCC do you think that we can make DCC tape with anti vibration mechanisms?
Any chance to make adapter that can change regular tape to DCC?

Hi,
It is 0,2 mm wider.
If we would have enough users and funds the hardware side of the tapes would be possible to reproduce.