DCC175 with issues, new belt didn't fix it

I had the issue that you mention last month. Then it was the friction in the gear that gets moved by the coil. The friction was to high and the player could not get into the right position for starting. Also it could be the case that you used oil or grease for the mechanics and spilled some on the belt now the belt does not have enough tension to pull the gear for switching sides.

1 Like

Thanks Ralf,
I measured the old belt that came off, 210 mm in length (or 105 mm as measured stretched between two points). I’m assuming your measure relates to the latter. This would confirm that the newly fitted belt is correct (my guestimate was that it was ~2/3 length from the old one). One worry less.

1 Like

Thanks Jac,
I’ll have to reassemble to keep trying. I’ll sure do in the next couple of days.

OK, I’ll have a close look at the friction in the system… might not be until the weekend until I have time, but the offered suggestions are much appreciated. I’ll keep you posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update: I’ve taken off the belt and measured it to have thickness 1.1 mm - that is significantly different from 64 x 0.6-0.8 mm. Per the other responses I’ve received hinting at the too high friction (or too little traction on the belt) this could be the smoking gun! I’ll see if I can get locally a belt closer to the ideal size.
Bit of good news: I have been able to get the tape detect switches properly aligned again.
But also found a bit of bad news. The tip of the A-B side slider switch that’s pointing downwards and operated by the gear operated lever is literally hanging by a thread, almost broken off. (See attached pictures). Can this be repaired, are new switches still available?

A belt that is 1.1mm can never work properly as the motor will not be able to handle it. Max is 0.8mm

1 Like

@pvdm found suitable switches on AliExpress: DCC170 with broken rec switch - FIXED -

1 Like

True, but that switch that I found was for the REC switch in the top cover of the DCC170/175. Not entirely sure it will work or fit here, but it is certainly possible.

1 Like

Looked identical on the picture, well then check the length.

Otherwise we will have one for you at the DCC Museum

1 Like

According to the service manual these are the same parts: the REV switch is SU01 and the recording switch is referred to with SD10, but in the parts list they are both 4822 277 21752. I’ll try my luck with ordering the same on-line.

3 Likes

Great that I was not so wrong after all. The part number always refers to the position, the same order number means it is the same part.

2 Likes

It feels like an eternity since I’ve been on the forum. For good reason: the mail with the switches took ages to arrive in Australia and then I was on vacation. So only a couple of days ago I’ve been able to continue with the repair of the DCC175. Very disappointingly these turned out to be not the correct ones. I fitted a new belt and a new switch into the player. The good news: it did come to life and even appeared to be playing both an analog and dcc tape briefly. The bad news: the wrong take up spindle gets activated and creates a loop of tape. In the process I’ve ruined one dcc tape. On a small separate test PCB I’ve tested 3 of the other switches (smallest quantity you could order was 10) comparing the functionality with the original switch and it’s definitely doing something else. Out of curiosity I’ve opened one up and with the bits in there it could never offer the same functionality as the original. Bummer…
So back to the offer made above.
Ralf, you mentioned that you have these switches at the museum. How much would it cost to ship 2 or 3 to Australia?

1 Like

I’m sorry. I hope it was not a prerecorded tape.

Contact Ralf at [email protected] for parts, please.

1 Like

Thanks Max
Luckily it wasn’t, so not the end of the world.
Yes, I’ll contact Ralf.

1 Like

Told ya. :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:
Sorry it didn’t work.

Per my previous post, according to the workshop manual these are supposed to be the same part, so I’m blaming the unreliable source for the new parts. Won’t go back to them again.

1 Like

Ah.

2 Days ago I received the switches that I ordered from the museum and today I have fitted one.
My DCC175 is working again, what a feeling of satisfaction! And as always it just sounds awesome. Thanks a lot, Ralf for your support and others for the suggestions on this forum.

5 Likes

Nice to read these succes stories! A 175 is worth saving! Well done!