DCC175 Software on Dell Inspiron 8200

The book that came with the DCC cable (or was it the recorder?) explained how the software worked. It’s pretty well-written if I remember correctly. In Dutch of course. I haven’t looked at it for a while. I suppose we should scan it some day.

It would be awesome if DCC-Studio would automatically split up files or assign labels, based on markers on the tape. Unfortunately it can’t do this although I would think the engineers probably wanted to do this (as you say, it does pop up a window with all the information during the recording). I guess they just ran out of time.

It also doesn’t record markers based on the markers in a file. The only way to record markers is to split a track into multiple TRK files, and give each of them a name, then make a compilation tape. I have some ideas on doing this automatically in my future DCCE tool but I’m focusing on hardware reverse-engineering right now.

This sounds like a mechanical problem of the recorder. It’s definitely not a software problem.

That means the ground connection of your headphones is not connected. You’re hearing the difference between the left and right channel so everything that’s in the middle is gone. As Ralf said, it may be caused by plugging a headset with a microphone into the recorder. If you plug the wired remote control into the recorder, and plug the headset into the wired remote, that might fix it. Also try different headphones, preferably a pair without microphone. Or plug in a splitter that lets you connect 2 headphones. Or anything that has 3 rings on the connector instead of 4, really.

Ha, you have one of those super fast Gigahertz-plus computers LOL.
On my Pentium at 150MHz it took a whole night to convert a WAV to TRK/MPP in 1995. I only did it once.

Seriously: DCC2WAV is annoyingly slow, for both TRK->WAV as well as WAV->TRK. It’s better to use the “save as single audio track” option (I’m not sure what the name is but I think it’s in file manager), and then use my DCCU program to convert the MPP to MP1. Then you can use any audio converter to convert it to something else, or use an audio editor such as WavePad to edit the audio. WavePad can load the MP1 file without conversion to WAV. (*)

Vice versa, you can also use DCCU to convert an MP1 to MPP/LVL/TRK (the LVL will be empty because I haven’t figured out how to generate VU levels yet). And you can use MP2ENC to convert WAV to MP1. See links in a previous post.

MP2ENC is much faster than DCC2WAV, I think on my 300MHz Pentium 2 laptop it works faster than real-time. On my Windows 10 system it converts the files almost instantly.

===Jac

(*) At the time of this writing, there is a bug in the WavePad MP1 encoder (and also other MP1 encoders by NCH Software) which makes it skip the first frame of the MP1 file. I reported this as a bug months ago, but haven’t heard from them.

1 Like

Indeed, it is the microphone connection that caused havoc. With my other headset without mic it all works OK.

I’ve also tried with another tape and I ended up with a different experience: this time the tape stopped correctly on the A-side at the reverse point, let me enter the file for the side A recording. Then it correctly reversed direction and recorded/loaded the tracks from side B, but didn’t allow me to save the track when it came to the end! I didn’t see anything unusual and the player came to a stop and displayed “End”, which I assume means that it correctly found the end-of-recordings marker. It just didn’t allow me to save the file… I’ll keep trying over the next couple of days.

Thanks Jac and Ralf for the responses.
I bought the 175 new without the cable and the cable itself separately 2nd hand on Marktplaats, so I never had the original documentation.
Documentation in dutch is no problem for me (as you’d probably already guessed :slight_smile: ). Probably not too critical, as it’s all relatively straight forward, but who knows, there might be some hidden gems to be uncovered.

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread because I’m busy doing:

…and I received a surprise yesterday!

More to come.

-Philip

2 Likes

That has been a long time since I’ve seen a screen like this!
Oh the memories, I’m getting old guys… I admit it…

1 Like

You’ve got yourself a 175 with cable!!!

1 Like

Nice! Threads here never die, why should they? Same principle as DCC.

2 Likes

That’s cool isn’t it?

Alex, I have the exact same experience. I was trying a prerecorded DCC.

1 Like

Hi,
Can you explain in the detail the steps you are taking?

Ralf

Ralf, don’t know if you are addressing Alex or me, but what Alex describes is exactly what happens.
You can ‘dump’ side A to disk, the player stops, the software asks for filename, then continue to dump side B to disk, and then…nothing. No way to save.
Using DCC studio v1.2 by the way.

-Philip.

I believe this might be a bug in the software.
You save side A and B as separate files.

I am doing this from memory, but after side A you save A, abort and start the process again, just for side B. It will be two separate files.

Yes, I think so too. The software is a real pleasure to work with!
I will try tomorrow.

-Philip.

It’s been a bit random with me. Sometimes I’m still getting this issue, but most of the time is working OK for me now.

Did you change anything?

No, not really. It’s only a theory, but I know that I had to clean quite a few felt pads went I got into this a couple of weeks ago. So maybe I was trying to record with some disrupted bit streams that might have had an unwanted side effect?

By the way, I am using DCC studio version 1.2
I mention this, because the software that was uploaded to this forum in this thread is the 1.1 version.
There may be some improvements or enhancements.

-Philip.

2 Likes

Nobody?! I should have used the [sarcasm on] and [sarcasm off] I guess… :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I did not read it as sarcasm lol.
Personally I think the software is great, but viewing it in the 1995 setting.being in software development at that time, it is really amazing what this software can do.

1 Like

Same here. It has its flaws but for 1995 it was a nice program with interesting features and good performance. If you used an audio editing program in 1995 and recorded a 1 hour audio file to disk and wanted to make some small cut/copy/paste type changes, it would have taken forever to do those edits because the program would probably have had to copy the entire audio file for each edit.

I also seem to remember that it crashed Windows a lot less than some other Windows programs that I used back in the day.

I talked to one of the engineers who worked on the program a while ago (Ralf got me in contact with him and he was going to donate some source code but decided not to, unfortunately), and he was surprised to hear me tell him all that. I guess there were some big plans that never got realized, and on closer inspection you can see a lot of places where things could have been improved if there would have been a 2.0 version. I think the project got preempted by the demise of the DCC format. I distinctly remember reading that Philips considered making more cables because they were sold out so fast, but then decided not to.

=== Jac

3 Likes