VU meter upgrade

Hi,

Just watched the ‘VU meter upgrade’ video for DCC730/951.

How would this be possible in a less intrusive way?
e.g. an external case and tapping signals from inside…

My 951 is pristine and I think adding the VU by modifying the front isn’t an option.
(if the player is not really goodlooking, I’d consider it)

1 Like

Hi,
It could easily be done using an external case.
These cases have been designed already and can be 3d printed.
Power can be used via USB, audio can come from the source you prefer.

I am attaching the STL files as well.

EVOR04 CaseCover.STL (575.4 KB)
EVOR04 CaseTop.STL (431.0 KB)
EVOR04 CaseCover Wide.STL (569.4 KB)
EVOR04 CaseTop Wide.STL (445.7 KB)

1 Like

Ah nice!

but…
I just wondered if it would be feaseable and more desirable to tap in the audio signals in the player.
(like tap them off a testpoint w/o modifying the player)
That way the VU meters could maybe display the actual recorded signal levels after level adjustment on said player (so display the analog signal going into A/D conversion).

(which imho is what a recording VU meter should show)

1 Like

The chipset of the DCC730 and DCC951 generates VU values directly from the digital audio. I’m not 100% sure but I suspect they are generated by the PASC codec chips, probably once per PASC frame, i.e. a little over 10 times per second. The processor on the digital board on the back side of the deck gets those values from the chipset and sends them to the front panel all the time, via a special protocol over synchronous serial (compatible with modern-day SPI mode 3).

I’ve been reverse-engineering the DCC730 since 2018, and hopefully one day this will result in calibrated VU meters for the front panel, keyboard input to enter song titles, digital recording and playback via USB, tape dumping including SYINFO/AUXINFO, formatting tapes as if they’re prerecorded, and other features. Unfortunately I’ve had very little time to work on the project lately…

===Jac

5 Likes

Well Jac

That would be a dream come true but over the top as to wat I was looking for…

I simpy meant, is there an option to tap the signal after the input level dial and before it goes into the A/D converters.
That way you could see if you have adjusted the input correctly to not overshoot.

I was seriously startled when all over sudden during this video my band started playing… I was so surprised that I didn’t realise that the music was in the video. I thought my phone was playing tricks on me!

What a beautiful product that display, there is a bit of the Queen (the band) philosophy in it doesn’t it?

If it is worth doing it, than it is worth over doing it!

Seeing that DCC Museum logo… man! So nice!

1 Like