Tapes that arrive at your home, needing rewinding

When your favorite music arrives on used DCC, most sellers do not even bother to rewind or look for that matter, unfortunately.

Sometimes it is understandable, if they do not have player.
There is a trick that I use when a tape arrives that needs rewinding. Do not put them straight in just any player. Preferably use a first Generation Player, like the 900/82/92/RSDC10/2000

These players will not move the head against the tape, when you attempt rewinding. All others actually first move the head on the tape, making it worse. If you do it with a first Generation player, the chance of the exposed spot not affecting playback is highly improved.

@syciu winds it manually by hand just a bit to avoid the head pressing. Also a great idea.

I never rewind an unknown tape that I receive. Instead, I pull the tape out and get rid of the sticky stuff that most likely is on the backside somewhere around that section of the tape.

Only then I rewind, and when the tape is at the start I pull out the leader tape and treat the felt pad. Then a full wind and rewind, and then the tape is ready to be played.

Very Interesting solution.This might be a different issue though on the back of the tape in combination with the felt pads on the left and right corner. The sticky residue on the back of the tape (if that is what you are referring to) is caused by cutting the tape from the original Video Chrome Tape by BASF. This according to Dehler Sailor who invented both side felt pads hidden on the side to prevent this from happening during the early days of DCC. The residue from that cutting caused the main felt pad to fail and dropouts would occur.