Swop felt pad

I have ordered them in the pre-cut version and regular version.
I will send an update after arrival.

Ralf

1 Like

Received the felt pads today. I had ordered them in white as a strip, but also pre-cut.
I used the pre-cut ones first. Unlike @jorn version, these seem to be ok thickness wise.

After a straight swap, it worked immediately. Thought the new pad looks a bit scary in close up with all the hairs sticking out, it sort of has the same effect cleaning/roughing the old and dirty felt pad.

Recording and playback worked fine on the very first tape that suffered previously from the stick slip effect. Left top on the first picture is the old pad.

4 Likes

That does indeed looks scary! You would never think beforehand that it’s gonna work, but hey, the result is what counts! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is very good news. How exactly did you remove the old pad?
Oh wait, you’re gonna do a video about it probably :star_struck: :star_struck:

2 Likes

Removing is the tougher part. I ended up drenching the old pad with alcohol before starting the scrape it off with a small doctor’s knife.

4 Likes

Great success :+1:!

You can try a suitable solvent without residue that does not attack plastic or metal. I think Hydrocarbons will work best for that.

I was browsing through some products on amazon.com, 3M 08984 seems to be among the most suitable.

Stay away from Goo Gone and WD40, both seem not suitable to me as they will leave some residue as well as Acetone-based products as it can attack some types of plastic.

1 Like

I will do a video on this topic.

1 Like

Video is available as of today.
Ralf

1 Like

Unfortunately, the 8trackavenue store does not seem to ship to The Netherlands.
“Sorry, we don’t ship to Netherlands.”

Oh, and Ralph, you once said that you had to throw away 30-40% of all used tapes coming in to the museum because they did not work, which I always assumed was because of the stick-slip issue. Does this mean that that is no longer the case?

Most of the Good tapes are used to be included when we restore a machine, to show that recording is working. The ones with the stick slip effect we kept in a big box. We will work on all of them Replacing the felt pad.

We have the pads in stock.

Ralf

2 Likes

This has been fixed.

1 Like

Working working … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Top :muscle:t2:

I found this felt pad on a 1st generation Philips DCC90 minutes. Is it a rare example of a felt pad or is it maybe not original?

1 Like

Looks like a BASF tape. They have this type of felt pad.

@Jurjen and @drdcc, I can confirm that this is a Basf felt pad.
So if it is a Philips there must be a swop in production.

2 Likes