Simple solution for battery power!

This is my Frankenstein dcc175, hooked up through usb to a 5 volt power supply. And it works! This puppy is 6000 mah according by the divice itself, but although it is 1 volt short, it does work! And I tested it, it will play for 16 hours! And yes that red light you see there is the digital output!

2 Likes

The digital output is on because you’re feeding it through the external input. While this works perfectly fine and I’ve done it many times, it’s probably not ideal. The recorder wouldn’t waste energy on the digital optical output if it would be fed through the battery terminals. If you decide to do that (somehow), you may want to put a diode in series with the 5V output of that battery, to make 4.4V.

The DCC Museum sells lithium battery holders for portable DCC recorders which work with the ubiquitous 18650 cells. They are custom made for the recorders so you don’t have to put the battery in your pocket separately, and the recorder won’t bother to turn the optical output on when it’s not needed.

===Jac

3 Likes

Well, there a cheap S/PDIF → Bluetooth transmitters, it is not useless on the go.

1 Like

Why would you ruin perfectly good sound from a DCC by transmitting it through Bluetooth? :slight_smile:

=== Jac

3 Likes

My adapter can do aptX HD, that is good enough. It even has an included baterry, so if I had a portable player this would be a totally sane solution for our standards.

I love camping, and music. I just found out a way to feed my recorder without having to recharge for 16 hours. That is approx the time I can listen to music in a 14 days holiday.
As soon as this lockdown situation is over and I manage my business to health again and provide my self with an income, I will become a Patreon and buy all the stuff that is needed to keep my dcc gear in check. In the meantime I try to keep things simple, and I had this cord lying around and a power pack for charging my phone. And I added things up. I thought… what if?
So I put it together with tape and it worked!
You can’t charge the battery inside the dcc175, it refuses to go in the charge mode (short of 1 volt) and I need to be carefull with changing tracks because it is constantly in short battery charge mode. So sometimes it switches off. But that is it. As soon as all this Covid19 shit is over I will do the propper thing, become a Patreon and buy the pinchrollers, belts and gears…

1 Like

If it works for you, use it! I think I already said, it won’t do any harm. And for camping (not walking around), it will work perfectly fine and you don’t have to make any modifications to the recorder or buy more stuff.

===Jac

2 Likes

And that is all I needed to hear! Thanks @Jac !

1 Like