Phillips 900 low acc playback volume

Hi everybody! I’ve always been curious about the DCC format, and recently acquired a Phillips 900.

DCC playback sounds fantastic on the unit! However, ACC playback volume is very low and hissy, even on dolby b tapes with nr engaged.

I’m aware they are not recommended to play ACC. However, I’m wondering if this is a symptom of being in need of a recap somewhere? And not being comfortable on that level of electronic repair, how difficult/expensive would that repair be in the US?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi, Pretty sure that most will agree that a 900 will need the read/write board and the AD/DA board re-capping. I have a first generation Marantz DD-82 that I recapped the read/write board on some 10 years ago when I was a mere 40 something & before my eyesight took a dive :frowning_face: Now I am fast approaching 54 and my machine though running well needs the AD/DA board recapping before something tragic happens. Im pretty sure @drdcc will be able to help you with a recap within the US. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

It is pointed out very often that one should ALWAYS replace the electrolytic capacitors on the two boards of the devices.

3 Likes

Does somebody have a list which caps are needed for both of the boards?
So I can order them before dismantling the two boards.

Thanks in advance!

These are the values for the capacitors.

2,2µF/35V/BP - 1 - Nichicon UMP1V2R2MDD
4,7µF/16V/BP - 2 - Nichicon UMP1C4R7MDD
10µF/16V - 9 - Nichicon UMV1C100MFD
22µF/6V3 - 1 - Nichicon UMV0J220MFD
68µF/10V - 4 - Panasonic EEA-GA1A680

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the replies! Very impressed with the format, can’t wait to get the unit running properly!

Thanks Ralf, you’re the best!

1 Like

I have a list of the capacitors needed in .rtf file…
Lista condensatori DCC900.rtf (659 Byte)