Philips DCC951 Auto edit not work with Optical IN

Hi, after replacing the pinch rollers and the display card of my recently purchased Philips DCC951, I noticed that during the recording from optical IN it does not number the tracks even though the cd player inserts pauses of 3 seconds between one track and another . The tracks are numbered from the analogue input. Auto edit is ON. Is this normal behavior?
Thank you
Umberto

What CD player are you using? There might be some not correctly handling the track skips in S/PDIF.

1 Like

When you record via a digital input, the DCC recorder depends on special markers that the CD players inserts into the S/PDIF data stream. It doesn’t depend on pauses between tracks when you record digitally. That’s nice because you should still get track markers from albums that have continuous music, such as a live concert.

Unfortunately, as Max already implied: a lot of optical disc players (especially BluRay and DVD players) don’t send those markers anymore. If you have a different player (preferably a dedicated CD player, not a DVD or SACD or BluRay player) with a digital output (optical or coax), try that.

===Jac

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanations. my cd player is Tachnics SL-PG590 which obviously does not manage the track marker, the important thing is that it is not a DCC defect.
Umberto

2 Likes

How does it work if you hook up a old fashion cd player to the DCC 951 or any other and record from the CD to DCC. Does it normally record with automatic song markers. I have the Philips CD 911 for instance.
Only via S/PDIF i think?

Analog works if your silence inbetween is long enough or better via optical or coaxial S/PDIF if the track markers are included.

1 Like

How can you see on a regular CD that the markers are included?
Is there a way you guys do regular recordings to DCC with markers?

Your CD player needs to output the markings from the track numbers.

1 Like

A Philips CD911 does that? I hope so !

Of course.

1 Like

Almost all CD players generate markers in their digital output. However there are many newer optical disk players (notably players that can play DVD’s or Blu-Rays) that may not generate the markers. If you have to go into some menu to change the output from Dolby or something to PCM to make the player work with the DCC recorder, chances are that markers may not be generated. But nowadays it’s difficult to predict.

A Philips CD player from the 1990s or earlier is almost certain to work.

===Jac

1 Like

Connect the ESI bus (green connector) with the 951.
Works great. I have a 911 too. (not the Porsche)

AUTOMATIC CD DUBBING
When the DCC player is incorporated in a Philips 900 series
system (with correct ESI BUS connections} and when the
preset setting is CD SYNCHRO ON (default)
( → see PRESETS on page 10), CD synchro will always be
started automatically when you are recording from a CD.
When you start recording on your DCC player by pressing the
RECORD key, the CD player will start playback automatically.

2 Likes