My experience repairing seven DCC 130 in the last 3 months

I like repairing old stuff - especially DAT und DCC. So I bought a few old and defectiv DCC 130/Panasonic RQ-DP7 (prices between € 50 and € 130 depending on the included accessories).

I was able to repair 6 of the 7 players. Some were easy - some not so easy.

The one I was not able to repair had a headunit but the flatbandcable was loose and not connected to the head. So, this unit was my donorunit (I have not used until now). Maybe I am able to buy a headunit with the pinch rollers at the museum?

On the remaining six players I changed the belt - this is really easy (compared to the DCC 170 models etc as you don´t have to do desoldering). Regarding SMD caps I changed only the defective ones and the 220uF for the output (left and right) where always not working well. The remaining four players were a little bit tricky.

Two players were not starting (like dead) and I have seen that on pin 16 at IC 1 the 5,5 Volt was missing. On one player I changed the IC 1 and then it worked very good. As it is very hard to find the IC 1 (8086SE2) I connected a cable from the mainpower (after the fuse) directly to pin 16 on IC1. Voila - it worked.

On two players I had the problem that the player switched between “forward” and “rewind” and played not really good. So I found out (this took a longer time) that there is a really small switch on the servo board (on the board it is written “fwd” and “rew”) and this switch was (on one player) not in the right position in the middle of the metal lever and and on the other player the switch was oxidized. This was the only “switch problem” - no problem with the “cass-in”-switch etc.

I had no problems with the pinch rollers and the allignment of the tape.

Regarding the batterys, I changed the cells with 4/5A NiMH-cells (2150mAh). The charging time takes about 1,5 hours and at the end of charging the battery gets a warm (but not hot).

In the end - the DCC 130 is a well build portable DCC and it is really build to last.