Marantz DD82 problems

My Marantz DD-82 will not play DCC tapes. I played one tape and then it stopped playing. I tried with 5 different tapes that used to play before but now don’t want to play these tapes. Maybe some idea of ​​what it’s all about

Welcome to the forum and thanks for adding the 1st-gen tag! How do analog tapes behave? The most common problem are bad SMD capacitors which need to be replaced on every device, there is no chance that they survive long-term, so even if it is not entirely clear, it should be done. Otherwise belts.

See this video for the SMD capacitors, it applies to the DD82, too:

Hi,
Can you be a bit more specific? Stop playing in Sound or does the mechanism stop?

1 Like

Hi,
No sound when playing tape

1 Like

How does analog tape behave?

Looks indeed like capacitors.

1 Like

Very poor sound quality

1 Like

Hi,
I have bought my Marantz DCC on eBay. According to seller, the following has been done or repaired:

• The SMD capacitors on the head-amplifier and D/A boards were replaced by tantalum caps as well as high-quality Panasonic and Nichicon caps
  • The pressure rollers and capstans were thoroughly cleaned
  • The heads were cleaned

It worked perfectly until recently. It seems to work mechanically, both the tape and the counter rolls but there is no sound. Furthermore, the peak indicators on the display are not working either. Interestingly, with a normal audio tape cassette it works in a way but with very poor sound quality. I don´t have many DCC cassettes, but I tried with several DCC cassettes and the result is the same (i.e. no sound). I didn´t try recording.

Hi,
When did you buy it? Was the seller in the Netherlands?

2 Likes