Help needed to prove that the Victor is a 20 Bit deck

We like to do some testing in the Netherlands to prove that the Victor ZD-V919 is a 20 bit deck.

The test is fairly simple. More details later.
Who in the Netherlands has a Victor and would be willing to help the DCC Museum?

1 Like

On a sidenote to this I can confirm that the DCC600 has a little strange digital out. One of the sides (L/R) reports 20bit and the other only 18bit, when monitoring it in wavelab through spdif. I’m not sure any information is transmitted on the two last bits, and I think not, but it’s still a bit wierd. My DCC730 does not do this, and only reports 2x18bit streams as it should.

1 Like

Hi,
Can you contact me at [email protected]
I would really like to talk to you.

Ralf

Hi. i can write to you right here if that’s ok. It’s no magic tricks to measure bits from an spdif.

Don’t know if the image works. It’ shows a 24bit 44.1 recording from the spdif of my dcc780. As you can see it reports 18bit on both sides and the green bars show how many is used in the audio itself.
I’m using wavelab 6, and the function “bit meter” from the “analyze” drop-down.

Regards
Theo

This is what it looks like on my DCC600. Unfortunately my drive belt snapped just now so I only got out a few seconds of audio. But it’s strange bits reported from the spdif. 20 left and 24 right.

Thanks for sharing.
How is the software connected to the 730 and 600?
What hardware are you using for this?

Ralf

I wrote in pm, but I can write it here too:

You need an audio card without SCMS copyright protection because it will block the DCC audiosignal otherwise.
Mine is an RME but anything with spec above 48khz/16bit will do, as it is considered “pro” and do not have SCMS, or as an option to turn off.

Then I simply connect spdif out from DCC to spdif in on audio card and record a wavefile of 24bit in wavelab from the digital input.

The cheapest pro soundcard I know of without SCMS is Zoom U44. That can do what I did.

1 Like

Hi guys! 20 bits in Victor ZD-V919 it’s just a myth. The answer about bit resolution is given in the manual on page two.

2 Likes

It means: - High quality DD converter (18-bit digital filter)

A filter is something different then a ad/da converter… the last one is assumed to be 20 bit…

Converters use filters. If DD converter has 18-bit operations then digital (optical) output will be in 18-bit resolution too.

Hi there,
Here by information of the Victor ZD-V919.
See pictures.

4 Likes

You can see that the digital filter is a NPC 5840 = 16/18 bit input and output 18/20 bit.
Also as the Marantz DD82/92

Even if you look on the service manual Philips DCC951 is the SAA2003 SBF 18 bit but the SAA2013 can accept 14,15,16 and 18 bit and institution is 14 bit if you can see on the discription of the the SAA2013 documentation page 9. table 1.
Philips service doc page: 34 resol0 = 1 +5 volt resol1 = ground and that is 14 bit.
I you reverse resol0 to ground and resol1 to 5 volt than work the SAA2013 in 18 bit resolution!

Perhaps working it on the same way as the SAA2011 in the Philips DCC900/Marantz DD82/92 and Technics RS-DC 10

Its only a hint.

Best regards,

Brian

What I have done with the Marantz DD82 copy a digital MQA cd is use a Genesis Digital Lens in 20 bit dither to spdif input and it give real more space and definition on the copy dcc cassette even from TPRKT recording in 64 bit/705kHz and than the cd layer to the DD82 with the Genesis Digital Lens give more than only 16 bit direct from spdif.
The Philips DCC951 do not accept digital data from the Genesis Digital Lens of Meridian 518 processor even is it in consumer mode. SCMS protection come in display.
The Marantz DD82/92 and even the Technics DC-RS10/8 has no problems, there digital interface input can accept 24 bit on spdif/toslink but not if the `Meridian was in professional mode output1

1 Like

Great news! Now we have more details. It looks like it is recording a 20 bit signal through a digital input and then has 20 bit output. The analog input and output is 18 bit processed. Therefore it is not a fully 20 bit deck.

I have look on the service manual Philips DCC175 portable recorder and the SAA2013 institution is 18 bit but not the Philips DCC951 = 14 bit and why?
The PASC encoder and decoder Technics RS-DC8 is the same as the Victor/JVC.
In a German magazine the are say this player calculate in 20 bit and the Philips 18 bit but internal calculation / resolution is always 24 bit also in the first generation DCC players.
How compare a real 18 bit recording from the Philips DCC175 recordable sound to the DCC951 or the Marantz DCC82/92?
18 bit also spdif or 24 bit adc converted via the Meridian 518 digital processor 24 bit to 18 bit D shape to spdif?

Calculation PASC encoding chipset internally.

is 24 bit.
Sorry I try to one answer!