Dropouts and squealing sound coming from tape

If you hear a high pitched squealing sound coming from you DCC player when using a recordable tape, it is not the player but the tape. It is called the stick slip effect, caused by a dirty felt pad.

This hardly ever happens with prerecorded titles, just recordables.
During the squealing, you will not be able to make a decent recording. You will first have to clean the felt pad.

Here is a video about the problem and solution:

7 Likes

I’ve had quite some prerecorded DCC’s that I bought where I heard the squealing sound upon first play. After I did the procedure as shown in the video, the sound would disappear.

2 Likes

Thanks you so much for this information ! I now have my recordings back… also effected some pre recorded ones which have the white pressure pad too !

1 Like

I did not know prerecorded tapes with the 1st gen white felt exist, can you list them so @drdcc can check his copies of them?

Here are 4 of my pre-recorded. All screamed when playing … before they scream they seem to drop out a few time.

1 Like

That is pretty rare. The white felt pads are quite common, but the noise not so much.

2 Likes

I have few which are not screaming but will video it next time !

1 Like

Thank goodness for that! I was making an old school mixtape and it did this. You never know where some of these tapes had been sitting for 30 years. I was having no issues with the other tape because it was the later felt pad version.