DCC900 mystery sticker!

I was surprised to see this little yellow sticker after removing the deck from a damaged DCC900! Perhaps Philips should give me my money back? I bought this deck knowing that it had had a knock and a couple of small plastic parts had broken off the loading tray, so removed the deck from my other 900 thinking I could put them side by side to find out where the parts had come off from but (just my luck) the two decks were manufactured differently. I hope my service manual gives me the corerct diagram though (just thought about that!) I can’t see any surface caps on the r/w board which also differs from the one in Ralf’s cap change video in that it seems to also have the header for the tape head connection so may be a bit trickier to remove? Anyway, I’m still curious about the little sticker.

Cheers, Richard.

1 Like

Normally these stickers indicate a early Type player handed Out to sales reps, but yours looks like a early proto board as the modifications on the board2452 on the left are not standard.

Good news. You have a rare model.
Bad news. I am pretty sure the service manual will only partially apply.

There should, normally, also be a “not for sale sticker” on the back of the chassis.

Can you share more pictures of the inside and mech?

1 Like

Looks like you have a preproduction model there.

SFH1 is a code for a Philips building: Complex Strijp, which still exists but is no longer in use by Philips.

=== Jac

1 Like

Here are a few more pics. The pic of the r/h side of the deck shows the loose springs and where the small parts (last pic?) have parted company from!

1 Like

Hi,
So the sticker is on the back. We have 3 of them at the museum.
1 of them looks 100% the same and is also not working. No playback for any audio (Analog / DCC).

The other two have the extra board to compare them with CD during audio session, but the boards are different. The serial you have is very, very early.
We received ours from Gijs Wirtz, one of the key intenvtors of dcc at Philips. How did you find this one?

I would like to see another picture of the board that is attached to the mech to confirm it is the same, if it is not too much trouble.

3 Likes

Hi, this the best I can do (The loading tray is stuck at the moment). I found it on ebay and bought it as another restoration project. I’ll put some time to it as it would be good to get it operational given it’s history.

3 Likes

Hi,
Yes that is the one we have. Also not working.
Would love to hear more about the results.

Mechanism connection and main board connections are not compatible with the actual released version.

We have recapped and even replaced the head.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to have some comparison pictures between a preproduction unit like this one (or one of the ones in the museum) and the production model…

=== Jac

3 Likes

I’ll try to free up the loading tray and hopefully work out how to repair/replace the loose parts. Just looks like mechanical issues at the moment.

Well Ralf this is not the conversation I expected today, it has been very enlightening! Thanks very much for the interest.

Jac, I think I will have to recap my later model so I will post some pics when I have removed the deck.

Cheers Guys.

5 Likes