DCC ICs from China

$50 would be worth it in my opinion. It would save so many players.

2 Likes

Would you prefer through hole or SMD? I’ll reach out to some half-decent brokers to find out what they charge on top and if the stock count is even real.

+1

SMD is still harder to do for some, but I have no preference.

Update:
The TDA1317 seems to be available NOS at perfectly reasonable prices with roughly 100 in stock.

The TDA1616T is as already mentioned available at a half decent price desoldered on AliExpress, I hoped to find something else but until now nothing more trustworthy than that offer.

The rest are standard parts where I would choose quality parts reputable suppliers.

@all Can you measure the dimensions precisely including cutouts, screw-holes, thickness and so on?

@drdcc Would you prefer empty PCBs, PCBs with the standard components preassembled or the organisational clusterfuck of letting the sellers of the DCC ICs send to the PCB manufacturer for assembly? The write current resistor could be through hole for easy use.

@Jac I am sure you will proof read my design, right?

1 Like

It Might be great to have most assembled.

Assembly got relatively cheap these days, but logically has to be SMD for machine assembly. But you can assemble the TDA1316T, TDA1317, the resistor for write current and depending on the manufacturer maybe a little bit more yourself? But having the whole load of passive components preassembled will definitely be a huge help.

I propose to go with 5-10 prototype boards which will cost far less than expected.

1 Like

I can agree with that. Good idea.

Hello I can confirm that these IC from the alibaba supplier is a genuine chip.

I have ordered a bunch and they’ve arrived. Definitely genuine as my recorder is now repaired.

4 Likes

That is great @Mark_Neilson. What did you end up paying?
Ralf

1 Like

This is exactly one of the ones that looked the most trustworthy. Great to know that my suspicion was right.

What do you think about the idea of designing a new read-/write-board for 1st gen players?

1 Like

I bought about 10 of each got them for around $160aud so it wasn’t too bad.

Mark

2 Likes

So you got TDA1316T, too?

@Max I’d have a “new” R/W board for my 900. I’m sure you will have many more customers.

5 Likes

Just a word of encouragement. Love the dedication to keep the format alive. I think many would be happy with “new” parts :slight_smile:
Keep up the great work

7 Likes

I think I speak on behalf of all of us at the Museum when I say that the enthusiasm of the fans and the traffic on this forum and elsewhere (e.g. Facebook) is what keeps us going. So thank YOU! :slight_smile:

Eventually it may be possible to replace old parts that are becoming scarce, with something else. I think we have all the information to theoretically replace all the electronics in a deck by modern hardware (don’t think this will happen any time soon though, that would be a LOT of work).

The only thing that I don’t see us replicating for now or anytime soon, is the heads. Most other parts are a matter of how much effort someone wants to put into it.

===Jac

5 Likes

The heads… that is not solvable is it?
And then there is the adjustment of the read write amps… well that might be doable.

Best thing we can do is collecting broken gear… parting them out and send them to the Museum?

We have no idea how except for preserving all heads by not using analog tapes that will more or less damage them, replacing capacitors and so on.

This has been done.

Replacement gears have been available to Patrons of the DCC Museum for a little over a year now: Gears for all Second Generation DCC Players

1 Like

Thanks Max! I know,
I have an out of order 175 with a good head and dito pcb… I will package that and send it off to the museum. Perhaps it will come to some good use one day!

2 Likes

Philips did ship numerous chips to china…