DCC ICs from China

I think I speak on behalf of all of us at the Museum when I say that the enthusiasm of the fans and the traffic on this forum and elsewhere (e.g. Facebook) is what keeps us going. So thank YOU! :slight_smile:

Eventually it may be possible to replace old parts that are becoming scarce, with something else. I think we have all the information to theoretically replace all the electronics in a deck by modern hardware (donā€™t think this will happen any time soon though, that would be a LOT of work).

The only thing that I donā€™t see us replicating for now or anytime soon, is the heads. Most other parts are a matter of how much effort someone wants to put into it.

===Jac

5 Likes

The headsā€¦ that is not solvable is it?
And then there is the adjustment of the read write ampsā€¦ well that might be doable.

Best thing we can do is collecting broken gearā€¦ parting them out and send them to the Museum?

We have no idea how except for preserving all heads by not using analog tapes that will more or less damage them, replacing capacitors and so on.

This has been done.

Replacement gears have been available to Patrons of the DCC Museum for a little over a year now: Gears for all Second Generation DCC Players

1 Like

Thanks Max! I know,
I have an out of order 175 with a good head and dito pcbā€¦ I will package that and send it off to the museum. Perhaps it will come to some good use one day!

2 Likes

Philips did ship numerous chips to chinaā€¦