DCC 951 Distorted sound

Hi everybody. New to the Forum. Have multiple DCC Players and got most of them working.
Marantz DD-82,DCC 900 (3), DCC600, DCC730 , …

I have two DCC 951 players and one of them has a distorted sound form both analog and digital tapes.
No dropouts or other problems reading the information of the tapes.
I switch the mechanisms and the problem seems to be in there, because distorted sound is now on the other player. Any suggestions where to look for the problem ?

Andre

1 Like

Hi @Andre_Heskamp, welcome to the forum. When you say you switched mechanisms, do you mean you swapped the DDU into another chassis and the fault moved with the DDU? If so I would start with pinch rollers and capstan drive belt, although in my experience pinch rollers always cause drop outs.

@saturn5 Yes i swapped DDU and both have new pinch rollers and belts.
And i posted this question because i can’t find a reason why analog and dcc tapes both would distort. In the DDU analog is almost directly rerouted to the Dolby circuit and Digital works but also with distorted sound. The read/write board is the only place where the signals are go to the same chips, but how is it possible to see all the Track/Tape Data and hear anything from the digital circuit if the problem would be in there.

Andre

I Think i just spotted the problem. Have to test this tonight. The analog from the digital board is routed to the dolby circuit and from there back to the digital board, where its inserted to the analog in of the digital board trough the ADC and then back to the DAC <<<< Could this be the problem ?

Have to test if the digital out is is not distorted ! (only tested headphone/analog out)

Andre

Hi,
You could try and switch the board to confirm. It might not record, but should play without distortion.

@drdcc Is there anything on the 951/730 digital board that would prevent recording with an other read/write - head combo ?

Andre

This video will explain it. Although the 951 is a different machine, the principal is the same.

1 Like

@drdcc Thanks for making that video. I already used that video to match a head to an other PW03 Read-Write board in a DCC 900.
But the digital board (backside board) on the DDU of the 951, is there anything i can adjust there ?

I only suspect the DAC of the Digital board to be defective.

Andre

Hi,
Should be. Never done it at the museum.
Switch the board first to see if sound comes back.

Welcome! You can add the list of your DCC players to your profile for everyone to see if you’d like.

If it was indeed the DAC, I wouldn’t touch it, but build an interesting DIY DAC kit instead.

@Max Not yet tested it, if the DAC is to blame, but where can i find DCC DIY DAC info ?
And where/how do i add my list of (working) players.

Andre

A DCC951 has a coaxial S/PDIF output. Any external DAC can convert that to RCA/Cinch. If this digital output works fine, I wouldn’t bother trying to replace the internal DAC but build an external one; it is both fun and can save a lot of money compared to commercial ones based on the same high-quality chip.

You can buy one, of course. If you don’t have anything with a coaxial S/PDIF input, I suggest getting the cheapest DAC and cable on Amazon, it won’t sound perfect, but you will be able to tell if it would work or not for very little money.

Here is the direct link for editing your profile, otherwise you can click on your profile picture on the top right: https://forum.dccmuseum.com/u/andre_heskamp/preferences/profile

1 Like

Or get yourself a Philips DAC 960 DA converter or a Philips DFA888 digital amp.
Then you stay in fashion using Philips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just tested it with a different digital board and it works now.
Only now i have a error 20 on track 9 :sob:

Andre

1 Like