DCC 170 suddenly has issues with FF/REW or sometimes playback

Almost two years ago i bought a DCC 170 which has new capacitors and also a belt replacement, at least that was what the seller told me.
Now suddenly after normal usage, sometimes not used for a month and then used day after day… i have an issue which looks like it loses it’s horse power. (strength)
Sometimes i need to start the player twice to start the player to play the cassette.
Sometimes it’s making a clicking sound and turn itself off. (you see off in the display)
Now it is also not possible anymore to fast forward or return. When i push the button it gives to clicks in about 3 seconds and than turn off the player.
When the player plays a song all is working fine also the audio volume.
It doesn’t matter if i use a battery or 220v.
What can be the cause of the issue?

Hi,
It could very well be that the (new) belt has gone bad. I have seen that before, iff the belt diameter used is 0.6mm If the sound it is making is rattling loud, there could be mechanism problem.

Hi. Could be, but how can it suddenly gone bad within 2 years after replacement. It worked fine for two years. It is just a clicking sound what you hear sometimes. The player tries to start but has just not enough strength. Will/could be the belt indeed. The reliability of these portable player with the small belts is disappointing unfortunately. And it is not the easiest player unfortunately to replace the belt but i think i have to give it a go myself.

I have solved the issue with the replacement of the belt send by Ralf. Thank you for that.
Old belt and new belt. It looks indeed thinner than the new one.

It was my first micro soldering project but it went fine. I hope you like my first soldering experience. :grin:

I have a question about the replacement of the SMC capacitors which was done by the seller he told me two years ago. Can you tell me if the capacitors are indeed replaced with new ones, cause to me it looks like they are factory soldered.
Thanks for helping out.

1 Like

Looking at the pictures, it looks like only a few are replaced.
I would redo them, as this is very strange.

Am i right that only the two red caps looks like they were replaced?

That is what it looks like indeed.

I always use tantalum caps

Where do you buy them? Are they different from the ones sold by the DCC museum?

I have another question. How do i put this player in service menu to see if there are errors when playing or recording?

1 Like

I buy my belt at fixyouraudio.

1 Like

I had similar issues. If the player does not start or goes forward and back and switches off try to ff or rew a bit . Sometimes it starts to play then. This is caused by the very thin belts. They cannot transfer enough torgue.to start the turning.

I had to buy belts from three sources to get mine playing.
First belts with thicker diameter from german ebay seller They worked with DCC but caused horrible flutter with analog casettes and therefore will ruin your mechanics in a long run…
Second two belts bought from DCCMuseum. They had many fine cracks all around so I could not risk to try it due to the complicated rep process and therefore cannot tell any results.
Third belts from fixyouraudio com with smaller diameter. They work in most but not in all mechanics.
Finally I could give the recommendation that the used mech is in reality a panasonic one and so maybe some panasonic belts may work. One has to compare the mechanic pictures in various service manuals.
Hope this helps a bit.
Bye Michael

1 Like

I have replaced the belt again and now the player plays well again with no errors anymore. Thanks for helping out.