Comparison between Philips DCC730 and Philips DCC300

I just replaced the red gear that was destroyed in my DCC300 by buying it from the DCC museum. :+1: Well, comparing the reborn DCC300 with the DCC730, I noticed that, using first generation tapes, even used ones, they are perfectly recorded, without any dropout, by the DCC300, and reproduced just as correctly. If I play them on the DCC730, there are a lot of dropouts, making the tape unplayable. Even the second generation tapes are recorded and reproduced by the DCC300 very well, while sometimes in the DCC730 there is some hesitation. From this first test it would seem that the DCC300 is less sensitive to small imperfections, while the DCC730 is more intolerant. Furthermore, the 300 seems to sound much better than the 730, with a richer, clearer, more faithful sound. It’s possible? What do you think about?

2 Likes

Your DCC730 may need new pinch rollers and belts.

1 Like

It could also be a tape speed problem. Does a analog cassette sound ok on the dcc 300 and 730? Just to test.

2 Likes

I have the problems that you have with all my 3rd gen players, and with my 2nd gen not so much. Replaced belt and rollers etc. Tapes recorded on them are not very ‘compatible’ on other decks.
But not everyone experiences this (fortunately), so your milage may vary :smiley:
It’s a pity, because I really like the turbo mechanism.

2 Likes

Yes, the 730 plays the ACC very well. I think however that, in general, the 2nd generation is much better, except the good turbo mechanism, than 3rd generation; these don’t even have the vu-meters…

1 Like