Modern PASC/mp1 software encoder

Bothering with TRK and LVL does not make much sense to me on the first look, until we have a DCC Studio replacement we can just use it to index the MPP files and after we archieve custom DCC write we will have to think about a solution including everything, so most likely a different file format including ITTS and so on.

Agreed.

Once we can extract ITTS, we’ll deal with that. I think I already mentioned we should probably use .MKA to combine MP1/PASC and ITTS. There is already plenty of software that can handle .MKA, and very likely there is already a way to store CD-Text into MKA files. ITTS can probably be encoded in the same way, or at least in a similar way.

I want to get to a solution where it becomes possible to just use a microcontroller to control the deck of a DCC-730 or DCC-951 or DW-68 and make it possible to convert an entire cassette to MKA[MP1 + ITTS] with basically a single push of a button. That way @drdcc can quickly make dumps of all the tapes in the museum. Maybe it will be possible to control one or more cameras too, to store cover art. And/or an automatic tape changer; that would be nice!

Based on things I’ve learned recently, all of this doesn’t seem very difficult anymore; it’s just a lot of work to get the details done. I sure wish I had more time and space to work on it.

===Jac

2 Likes

Oh no, the prices will further increase and I still don’t have one. I hope I will soon find one in a non pristine condition at a reasonable price.

1 Like

I am writing a kaitai.io definition for the required files just to get a feel for it and maybe for later use. I may have found a bug somewhere.

1 Like