INI Error on RS-DC10

Hello Folks, just picked up a RS-DC10 in great shape but it says INI ERROR in the display, any ideas what this may be? Im pretty good at repairing but usually do Nakamichi tape decks and DAT machines.

1 Like

Hi,
The capacitors are leaking and that caused the audio board to fail. We have seen the “ini-error” before. The audio board is located behind a metal cover to the right in the player and connected with a flat cable to the read-write board.

You need to recap both boards. I have attached a screenshot of the Youtube video of the caps to use.

3 Likes

I think I have 2,2 microfarad 50volts .?

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the info. I did order the caps and I have some 68V to repair but unfortunately the head amp board 68uf caps ate away the solder bed so I can’t solder the new caps onto the board. When I took apart the head amp board the caps just fell out. So, Im stuck. Need a new or refurbished head amp board.

With a schematic this should be possible to fix by connecting to other points on the same line, right @drdcc?

That is correct @Max. Traces are often damaged and can often be repaired. We then use regular caps vs smd so we can tap on with the legs to something else.

That is fine. Higher voltage is always ok.

I’ve got the schematic but it’s fairly hard to read. Does anyone know how much the repair costs at DCC museum?

Please contact us at [email protected]

Hi everyone.
Since I encountered the same error (ini Error) on a DCC900, I am replying here instead of opening a new topic.

It’s clear by now that this error is due to the Digital PCB (I tested with another board and the DCC900 works perfectly), and it most likely was triggered by the 7 leaking caps on board.
Therefore I cleaned the board and changed the caps.
I also tested if all supply buses are connecting OK and that there’re no short-circuits present; via’s affected are also checked/restored OK, one needed a connection wire.
At this point I suspect one of the IC’s, or even maybe the onboard firmware is corrupt is not loading up correctly. The onboard opamp feeding the VCO_IN signal is the only IC I checked/replaced, still the error persists.

Does anyone have any idea how to debug further?

Thanks, Rob

2 Likes