DCC900 questionable future

We have all pinch rollers new if needed.
The squealing is most likely the slip stick effect of dirty felt pads.

Thanks for your comments…very interesting…I have seen Quantegy tapes with SSS do this in open-reel machines. I’m a bit confused, though…these are “new” tapes, just unwrapped them, although they are ~20yrs old. All have white pads…and quite visible deposits after less than an hour of use! Can the pads develop this problem just from age? Or is the tape shedding, and will just load the pads again after a short period of use?
How much do the rollers cost?
(I am quite pleased that my electrical repairs work, at least!)

Hi,
Even new tapes (NOS) can have the symptoms. It all depends on storage.
You can contact us at [email protected] for more information about any parts.

Ralf

Thanks!
Another update, with some apparent success. The tape tray has two metal fingers in front that limit the forward movement of the tape housing. I attached a piece of self-adhesive felt to the left one, and adjusted (bent) it slightly to hold that side of the tape firmly against the front of the tray. The right was not so easy. I made a small metal bar that is RTV’d to an inside corner of the tray. Its other end reaches in front of the existing finger and is bent at an angle to hold that side of the tape forward. The tapes seem to play consistently without squealing. (I have no idea if this is a realistic “fix”.) The Philips pre-recorded tape doesn’t squeal, but the pinch rollers stop occasionally. Maybe the rollers are marginal, and/or there is something wrong with that tape.

Ever-curious, I removed the shutter from a tape and cut the plastic from around the pressure-pad area. Two goals - observe the head-to-pad contact, and gently poke the pad and guides if the tape began to squeal. (Which of course it has not.) I was mainly interested in whether the head came in far enough for the metal ‘poles’ on the sides of the head itself to contact the J-shaped bars beside the pressure pad. This would trap the tape between those two metal surfaces. That appears to happen. If the tape sheds or is otherwise not smooth, the bars beside the pad might be doing the squealing. (I have a picture of this but not sure if I can attach it.)

Hi exRCA

Thankyou for this pin out information

I worked out how to test pins 2/4/6/8 etc however had no detail of the playback bias coil pinouts.
I had been chasing my tail for months wondering why everytime I grounded the r/w pcb to the deck chassis I was getting distortion in the left channel on analogue playback. There was a “floating” voltage on the ground pad of the RW pcb when it was disconnected. I was basically looking for a fault on the RW board that was not there. Turns out the PB coil in the head for the Left channel BIAS was open circuit. I have no idea how this would be possible as the machine has literally been switched off since 1995 and in storage - never turned on. Crazy.

Regards
Mark

Hallo, I also need to repair a broken flexcable. Have you fotos of the repair that you could post?

2 Likes